Coconut oil has been the latest and greatest trend for a while now – celebrities use it and people swear by it. Over the past 8 or so months I’ve been researching and incorporating coconut oil into almost every part of my daily life and I’ve seen huge changes both internally and externally.
There is no one beauty product that I can say is a cure-all, but coconut oil comes pretty damn close…this stuff is actually extremely useful and can save you time, effort, and a whoooole lot of money. From healing scars and moisturizing dry knees to regulating sleep and helping with weight loss, incorporating coconut oil into your daily life can condense about 30 products into this one little life-saving, all-in-one product.
So out of everything I’ve tried with coconut oil, I’ve found that there is one important thing that it can’t do, which is mattify (lol it’s a joke). I’ve been given a great deal from Radha Beauty to share with my readers to get their coconut oil for only $5!!! Use coupon code: RCOCONUT during checkout (their coconut oil can be found here).
So print this list out, get a bottle of it for yourself, and go coconuts for coconut oil.
Beauty Uses for Coconut Oil:
- Makeup remover. It’s safe on the face and the eyes! Don’t worry, the oil won’t give you acne – it actually help clears it.
- Breath Freshener. Ever heard of oil pulling? Mix a tablespoon of coconut oil with a dash of oregano and swish around for 20 minutes to get fresh breath, healthier gums, and whiter teeth.
- Moisturizer. I just add one or two little drops per pump of body lotion to keep me super moisturized, but not oily.
- Makeup Brush Cleaner. I mix half coconut oil, half unscented soap to clean my brushes monthly. It works like a charm, and keeps the hairs even more moisturized than an expensive cleaner from a makeup counter!
- Lip Balm. I use the solid coconut oil for this, and take a bit with my finger to rub on my lips to keep them luscious and yummy.
- Body Scrub. I mix coconut oil with equal parts sugar and keep it in a jar in my shower. It scrubs and moisturizes at the same time!
- Cuticle Oil. Coconut oil works amazingly for remedying cracked cuticles!
- Frizz Tamer. USE SPARINGLY! You don’t want to look like a homeless who hasn’t showered in a year…I use literally one or two tiny drops, rub evenly into my hands, and lightly rub it over my frizz.
- Teeth Whitener. I’ve noticed a huge difference in my teeth’s color by adding one drop to my toothpaste every time I brush my teeth. What’s great about using a natural product is that you aren’t damaging your teeth, you’re actually helping re-mineralize them.
- Shaving Cream. Kill two birds with one stone – moisturize and smooth while using coconut oil as a shaving cream.
- Deep Conditioner/Hair Mask: I add a few drops of coconut oil to my conditioner to help deep condition my hair. I also use it sometimes when I’ve dumped a ton of products in my hair to pre-cleanse before shampooing. For a hair mask, I’ll leave it on wet hair for about an hour with a shower cap to seal in moisture.
- Night Cream. I use this during dry months for extreme moisture…the antioxidants are also great for smoothing fine lines and wrinkles while you sleep.
- Dandruff Treatment. I rub a little into my scalp when it’s dry and it clears my dandruff up real fast. It also stimulates hair growth.
- Deodorant. I haven’t tried this yet, but I’ve heard that you can mix coconut oil with arrowroot powder, cornstarch, baking soda, and a scented oil for a DIY odor fix. It’s not an antiperspirant, though!
- Lice Remedy. Rinse your head with apple cider vinegar first, then apply coconut oil and leave on for 12-24 hours to kill those nasty little buggers.
- Massage Oil. Duhhhh…add a little lavender or peppermint with it too for a soothing massage mix.
- Lighten Age Spots. Rub it directly on the skin after toning to lighten those age and acne spots. I also just put one little drop in my moisturizer and mix it around to take advantage of that benefit.
- Tanning Oil/SPF 4 Sunscreen. I use this to moisturize while tanning and protecting myself (a tiny bit) from UV rays.
- Cellulite and Varicose Vein Eraser. When used consistently on the skin, coconut oil will help reduce cellulite and varicose veins! That’s why I mix one drop of coconut oil per pump of lotion to keep my use consistent.
Health Uses For Coconut Oil:
- Boosts Energy. Cook with it, add to a smoothie, replace your butter with it for baking, eat it plain, whatever…it is an immediate source of energy that isn’t stored as fat.
- Speeds Recovery From Cold or Flu. I like to mix a tablespoon of coconut oil into some hot tea when I’m sick and it really helps.
- Itch and Burn Relief. For burns, bug bites, and bruises. It also aids in the healing and scarring process of burns and bites.
- Alleviates Allergies. Rub a tiny bit of coconut oil on the inside of your nose to help with allergies.
- Speeds Healing of a Sunburn. After the initial heat is gone, it helps with peeling and soothes the pain.
- Lessens Arthritis Pain and Minor Swelling. Coconut oil’s anti-inflammatory properties can help lessen arthritis and any swelling that happens from an injury.
- Helps with depression, anxiety, improves sleep, re-mineralizes teeth, and improves mental alertness.